Monday 9 November 2015

The importance of compliments


A compliment is a wonderful thing. It can make you feel confident, beautiful and secure.
Sadly, compliments seem to be a rare thing, which could be a combination of many things.
It seems that we, as a people, are learning how to desensitise ourselves and are afraid of reaching out beyond our own personal boundaries.

I have taken it upon myself in my daily routines to make sure I compliment someone on something I like about them; be it what they’re wearing or what they have done.
The first time was frightening, but I thought to myself, What’s the worst that can happen? It’s only a compliment. I was on the train coming home, and sitting across from this glamorous young woman and I complimented her on her shoes. They were Carrie Bradshaw-esque. She gave me a warm smile and said, “They’re actually killing me. They’re my friends’ and I don’t even know how I’m going to walk to her house when I get off.”

I laughed and told her that at least she would be looking fabulous whilst she struggled. I like to think that our interaction gave her the strength to walk in those marvellous shoes
I feel as if I don’t acknowledge this person, and myself, the compliment will go unsaid, and wither and die in the abysses of my mind. Wouldn’t it be nicer for this admiring remark of a person’s self to be spoken, to be shared?


I urge you to be stern with yourself, and if you like that lady’s boots, tell her! If you admire the way someone is being helpful within the community, tell them!

Amy Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment