Wednesday 11 November 2015

Ramblings of a Young Adult, Part I

   As a young adult, I find myself imprisoned between the two walls of adulthood and childhood. Adulthood offers freedom, while childhood offers security. As time passes, I’ve learnt otherwise.

   When I was a child, things were simple. You wanted food? You wanted toys? Here. I remember we would decorate our ice cream on a hot summer’s day with Millions and chocolate sauce; or we would parade beneath the Christmas tree and glints of its fluorescent light bulbs, wondering what awaits us on the morning of 25th December. Here’s the thing, we were children and we loved it. We were dreamers, determinant of the world tomorrow, how did we end up here?


   It’s peculiar, really. I find myself an odd ball. I’m at the denouement of my teenage years; genesis of my mature years. You feel detached. Mature acquaintances consider their ways righteous and absolute; whereas youths nowadays are obsessed with anarchistic ideas, a phase they all go through. Video games become an escapism, opinions repudiated and rantings a personal weakness. Where’s our voice, our identity as millennials? It’s folly to diminish us to mere label between baby boomers and iGens (post-millennials). We are humans too and we deserve to be validated.





Photo 1.1 Source: https://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo/2012/10/04/01/53/boy-59171_640.jpg

Photo 1.2 Source: https://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo/2014/10/01/18/02/sad-468923_640.jpg


Written, Randall

No comments:

Post a Comment