Monday 9 November 2015

Joining a Writing Group


I have written as a hobby for many years. However it was only after joining a writing group that I took it seriously. I have now been in the group for 5 years, the group having published 3 anthologies of short stories and poetry.
Now I am studying a diploma course in professional writingand editing. I have found going back to study rewarding though challenging at times.

Back to the writing group: my writing has really developed according my fellow members, which has really been rewarding. Being a writer is largely a solitary activity and being in a group of writers is both helpful for getting feedback and also making new friends.

How did the group form? Like many ventures it began with an action of opportunity. I took a five week course in short-story writing and met with another writer who then contacted the others in the class, wanting to form a group. The invitation was also advertised in the community and a local government grant secured.

The convener of the group has now moved on to other ventures but the group continues to meet and presently has six members. I would recommend joining a group for anyone who wants to further their writing and meet other writers.

By M.S





No comments:

Post a Comment