Tuesday 3 November 2015

An Unexpected Helping Hand


I consider myself to be socially awkward, but that will never get in the way of helping someone who needs it.
Today, I was coming home on the train and there was a blind man who was travelling home as well. I wanted to zone out and look out the window on my way home, so when I heard him say,
“Is this Jordanville station? I need to know,” I was conflicted with myself, because I didn’t want to take on the responsibility of somebody else’s problems, or involving myself in someone’s situation.

Yet, if I don’t, who would? The answer should be anyone or everyone, but sadly the answer in this world, I feel, is no one. It is because of this answer that I will always try to help, regardless of my own situations or personal problems.
 
I got up a little prematurely than I normally do when my station is arriving, and went to the blind man to inform him that yes, Jordanville station was the next station, it was my stop as well, and so yes, I’ll help you get onto the platform.

The train came to a stop, and what impressed me was that this man was very insistent on pressing the button to open the doors. That reiteration of independence, which is so cruelly taken away from the handicapped, reminded me that the disabled community are just like us.

We got off the train onto the platform, but because of a mix-up, the man was on the wrong carriage. He was supposed to meet his mother, but quickly glancing around, I could see no one except for the busy commuters wanting to go home.
He told me that she would be on Platform 2. I walked to the very end of the platforms, dragging my tired legs along, hoping that the woman in the spotted shirt sitting on the last bench at the end of the platform was his mother.
Thankfully it was, and as we were walking to where her son was patiently waiting, she thanked me numerous times.

It confused me why she was so grateful.

After parting ways, it dawned on me why. Anyone and everyone should have helped him, but no one did. 

Amy Stephens


http://www.rsb.org.au/  - The Royal Society for the Blind helps to bring awareness for the blind and provides assistance to those afflicted. Feel free to give donations or sign up for their newsletter.



No comments:

Post a Comment