Monday 9 November 2015

A Word on Melbourne’s Weather




The local weather is often a topic of conversation. Melbourne has been known world-wide for its changeable climate. Indeed, sometimes it can feel like you have all four seasons in one day.
One thing people used to say about Melbourne is that it rains a lot. This has changed as Melbourne like most of Australia is experiencing less rain fall. I’ll never forget that about 20 years ago, on a trip to rainy London, a relative said I had brought Melbourne’s weather. I thought that was a bit cheeky.
My favourite season in Melbourne is autumn. The weather is milder. Spring also has mild weather but it rains more than autumn. In autumn you also get golden leaves falling on the ground.

I don’t like Melbourne summers anymore. They just get too hot. Having a split-system air-conditioner gives me some respite, but on days in excess of 40 degrees Celsius, I dread having to walk outside during daylight hours.
Now what about climate change? I believe it’s real. I think there would be fewer doubters, except for one fact. Setting a carbon price costs money. If there were low cost remedies, more support for them would be forthcoming. I believe we need to be researching and funding renewable and low cost energies to a greater extent than thus far.
Well that’s it for now. The sun will rise tomorrow and weather predictions have become more accurate. I hope in the long term more people start taking responsibility for climate change.

By M.S



No comments:

Post a Comment