Sunday 13 October 2013

Timeless inspiration- Vintage Labels and Prints of Pinterest


By Olivia. C
A few months ago I added another social media account to my name, that being no other than Pinterest. After looking at some Pinterest boards in class, I was intrigued by the sheer volume of content that is being uploaded, shared (or “repinned”) by like-minded people from around the world. But what appealed to me the most were the vintage labels and prints from years since past. These are arguably the most repinned images in Pinterest, with their colourful and quirky product ads, labels and posters instilling nostalgia in both the young and seasoned viewer.  


I first became interested in vintage posters and advertising when I was in my final years of High School. I guessed it stemmed from watching far too much Mad Men in my spare time.

 If Don Draper and the creative team at Sterling Cooper have taught me anything, it’s that an ad has to have meaning. It has to evoke an emotional reaction within the viewer, asides from the desire to buy the product. It can instil a sense of intrigue or nostalgia, longing or wonder. And it has to be done through catchy headlines or quirky imagery. No Photoshop required.  





If you compare some of the vintage ads from the ‘60s to today, the imaginative process that is behind some of the ads we see on billboards and on TV is seriously lacking. How many of you can honestly say that you were taken away by, for instance, Coles’ latest advertising campaign?

The vintage prints and labels on Pinterest remind me of a time when a great deal of creativity and thought were invested in advertising and marketing. It reminds me of a time when people dared to be bold and created quirky, and sometimes risqué, ads and artwork that stimulated the imagination. These prints and labels just go to show that not all advertising campaigns have to be boring; they can be artistic as well as inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment