Saturday 26 October 2013

5 Arcade Features Missing in Modern Video Games (Part Two)


4. Local Multiplayer

Source: Flashing Blade 
This feature is diminishing very quickly from modern games. There was a time when if you thought of co-op you instantly thought of 2-4 people on a couch playing the game in the same room. Now if you mention it most would think of online interaction.

There is nothing wrong with online multiplayer, in fact I'd say that it's a great feature to include. But couch multiplayer is something that I feel that many of us are missing. It feels ridiculous that if I want to play a game with my friend he's better off playing in a completely different house than I am because it's easier and more efficient.




5. Cheat Codes

Source: Video Gamer Rescue
Cheat codes are now a thing of the past, whereas many arcades had them hidden away for the more knowledgeable users. This isn't something that was needed or necessary to play a game, but sometimes you want to mess around in a game without completing any goals. Most games that are released now-a-days that include cheat codes, include them through micro-transactions.


I miss cheat codes and I don't just mean the god mode cheat, I mean the fun ones like big head, ultra-speed, low gravity, that sort of thing. Those types of cheats were extensively used back when they existed by just about everyone, but now they're gone and people have forgotten.

I don't think I'm alone in wanting these cheats to return, I know why they don't exist, or at least why they say they don't: achievements and trophies. There's a simple fix to this, when you enable cheats, disable achievements, it find it hard to believe that this would be difficult or time consuming to implement.

-Tristan

No comments:

Post a Comment