Sunday 20 October 2013

Campervan of Courage: Part 1


I have admitted this before; I will go on any travel adventure you throw at me. A few months ago I went to Townsville with my boyfriend to visit his family. We both took a week off and hadn’t really planned what we would do during that time. I am the type of person that will go with the flow so when Darryl got the idea to rent a car and explore further up the coast, I jumped straight on board! We quickly started googling and came across Wicked Campers. I’m sure you would have seen those old decked out vans that have had pictures of anything from bands to movies to soccer players spray painted across the sides. As soon as we saw the website, we booked and extended our holiday for an extra week.

Wicked Campers have pick up locations all over Australia at most tourist cities. So Darryl and I hopped on a bus to Cairns. I’m not going to lie, it wasn’t the most pleasant of trips. It was long, about 5 to 6 hours and we had to get up at 5.30am to catch the bus. I am not an early riser so this was a feat for me. Darryl had to pretty much drag me onto the bus. After a little morning nap I woke up to some of the most beautiful scenery, so I guess it wasn’t all bad.

Our Wicked camper: George Best

I think we were a bit over adventurous the first day. We picked up our van, a 2 seater with George Best’s face plastered over it, and hit the road. We drove from Cairns to Port Douglas to the start of the Daintree Rainforest before our bellies were grumbling louder than the van and it started getting too dark to see the landscape. We drove back the way we had come, and found a place just off the side of the highway we had spotted earlier. It was big enough to park several cars so we decided it wasn’t illegal to park there. Luckily for us, it was deserted. Just through the bushes was a secluded beach so we brought down our food and beach towels and had our own private picnic on the sand. It was beautiful, apart from the mosquitoes! We had our first semi comfortable sleep in the van and woke up to the most amazing sunset I have ever seen. If I had thought living in a campervan for a couple of weeks was going to be hard, the sunset washed all those thoughts away.


The first sunset


No comments:

Post a Comment