Monday 14 October 2013

Intricate Tales of the Melbourne Public Transport System

In order to experience the sheer quirkiness of Melbourne culture, it’s as simple as sitting yourself down on public transport and observing your surroundings. 

I’ve been a perpetual user of the Melbourne public transport system for as long as I’ve lived in this fair town. The odd tram or train trip isn’t infrequent for somebody who lives inner-city and doesn’t have a driver’s license let alone a car. During this time I’ve been compiling a repertoire of quizzical, perplexing and utterly hilarious experiences. Why, just this morning during my usual Monday morning trip into the city, the first thing I laid eyes on was an upright yet unconscious man holding a guitar. He became my new hero then and there. 

The 67 tram and I shared a remarkable escapade together: a man spoke to me for half an hour about how I would make the perfect mother for his baby when the fact of the matter was that he was pushing around a baby born in a pram. 

One particular evening on the Sandringham line, somebody asked me to turn down my iPod because their dog didn’t like the music I was listening to. Right after I laughed out loud he demanded I apologize. To his dog. 

A real life Agnes Skinner told off her son who looked to be about thirty for glancing in my direction at Yarraville train station and I witnessed an individual have a near-breakdown when he both missed the 16 tram travelling up the Esplanade. When the next tram came he got off at the very next stop. 

The next time somebody stands up on the train and begins to serenade the passengers with a Wu-Tang Clan song, write it down. People find that sort of thing pretty amusing. 


By Sid Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment