Tuesday 18 November 2014

Twain Street, Footscray – Monday 27 October – Escape from ‘Alcatraz’


The weekend saw some beautiful Melbourne spring weather. My star jasmine had suddenly burst into flower and the frangipani was showing the first signs of new leaves. I decided to do some work on the front yard.

I had just got stuck into the weeding when I realised I had an intruder. There, sitting in the pathway was a tan coloured English Bulldog, staring at me with large soulful eyes.

“Hello, where did you come from?” It was all the encouragement she needed. She scuttled over, tail in manic mode, snorting and snuffling with glee.

“Angel! Angel, where are you?” Immediately, the dog paused – head turning towards the direction of the voice.

“There you are, you little rascal!” A woman appeared at my gate. She was attractive, in her mid thirties, with long dark brown hair up in a ponytail.
“Hi, I’m Sophie. We’ve just moved into number 25. Thank you for minding her, she can go for miles when she escapes.”

“No problem”, I replied, “welcome to the neighbourhood.”

We chatted a bit and I learnt that she and her partner, David, were both lawyers. They had been living in a flat in Elwood and this was the first house they had ever brought. She explained that David had been brought up in the Western suburbs and due to this, and the fact that property in Footscray was still within their budget were the reasons they moved 'across the river’.

“You must come to our Community Day on 15th November. Bring Angel, there will be lots of other dogs.”

Sophie said that both she and David were very keen to get involved in the community, so they would definitely be there. We said our goodbyes and, holding onto Angel’s collar firmly, they headed back up road towards number 25. Angel’s moment of freedom clearly over, for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment