Sunday 16 November 2014

Thanks Roof

By S Gray
Credit: Screen capture from http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR024.loop.shtml
As I said in my last post, I was excited to write about Quantum Cryptography today. Unfortunately my roof has had other plans for me, so the post on QC will have to wait for another day.

Last night my roof decided to start leaking directly above my bed. Nowhere else in the house – just above where I was trying to sleep. On the upside it meant that I found out quickly and dealt with the situation before it became a real mess. However on the downside I woke up to splatters of water on my face and got very little sleep. I mean, I know it's not the end of the world and there are plenty of people (actually, probably the majority of the world's human population) that have to deal with worse on a daily basis. But still, I've come to expect my roof to work.

It has got me onto thinking about FWPs. My first thought was that a leaky roof most definitely is not an FWP. It is more the sort of thing you expect to happen to people in the third world, but then I started to think about my attitude towards it. Rather than dealing with the situation or trying to fix it (I have put a bucket and some towels underneath it, so I guess that's something), I decided I was going to blog about it instead. And, I think, there is something very FWPish about that.

What do you think constitutes a First World Problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment