Monday 19 November 2012

Men in Black III Really Surprises!

We all remember Will Smith stealing the show when he took to the silver screen in Men in Black I and II, but to wait a decade to make a third has to be a risk for any studio right?

That’s what I thought anyway. I gave this film a miss at the cinemas, applying my normal ‘I’ll wait ‘till it’s $3 in the video shop’ mentality. I now regret not having gone to the cinema to see it.


Too often with these predestined blockbusters, you sit through a two hour display of the best CGI the studio could afford and it is not until the credits roll that you start to wonder whether there was actually a film script at all. This is not the case for Men in Black III. I was even impressed with the intelligent, yet still comedic, approach they took to time travel. This is so often done so nauseatingly that to see it tackled well in a comedy is a real breath of fresh air.

CGI special effects are nothing short of spectacular and for the most part seamlessly integrated into the live-action throughout. I like a film where they complement, rather than replace props and difficult to shoot scenes.




As a fan of Flight of the Conchords, I have to say that Jemaine Clement stole the show. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones channel their 2002 characters in a nothing short of hilarious delivery. I would have liked to see Rip Torn as Agent Zed again, though his character was unfortunately written out. The only other thing missing from the film was the talking pug dog.
 

He's hard to pick at first!

If you liked the first two films, but haven’t caught this one yet, then MIB3 is a must grab for your next movie night. (Don't forget the perfect beer too!)

–Kieran

No comments:

Post a Comment