Monday 19 November 2012

Live Export Trade

by Meredith

Since responding to the Animals Australia campaign against factory farming (see my earlier post on 12 November), I have received regular email and Facebook appeals from numerous animal welfare organisations.
One of the more disturbing concerns the plight of live export animals sent from Australia to the Middle East. Although many of the more graphic images are censored, this film is shocking. It was also featured on ABC Four Corners on Monday 5 November.
The film exposes the barbaric nature of the live export trade and what can happen to the animals if things go wrong. The graphic content, combined with an appeal to my compassion and ethics, manipulated my feelings once again. I was moved enough to write immediately to my local member about my opposition to the live export trade, as requested by Animals Australia.
Since then, however, I have begun to wonder if actions such as indignant letters are going to change things. The fact is, stopping the live export trade would have severe repercussions for large sections of Australia’s rural population. I doubt either side of politics is likely to take such drastic action, and the Greens are not likely to have enough power to force them.
Nevertheless, I suspect that I will continue to receive updates on issues such as these now that I have dipped my toe in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment