Sunday 14 September 2014

The Joys of Redundancy Stage 3

By JAB

I am two-thirds through my redeployment phase and not feeling the love as I had expected. I have identified a small role within the organisation, which happens to be a derivation of my current role at half the pay and longer hours.

After lodging a lengthy expression of interest, I apply on line. I endure a cryptic interview - and somehow fail it. In other words my answers to the panel’s questions are deemed not good enough. Is rejection fair and reasonable given that I am already performing the tasks without issue? My job is offered to another, a redeployed member of the blessed HR team, who subsequently rejects it for another role. My job is now being advertised externally.



I spend the day scanning websites such as Fairwork Australia and the Fair Work Ombudsman. Fairwork Australia is an independent body thatworks for both the employer and the employee. I imagine I mightspotsome anomalies in advice received from my employer.

Disenchantment kicks in. I find myself caught in the maelstrom of second-guessing and the bagging-the-organisation rut. I lose sight of my skills and attributes. I take the rejections to heart. The cold reply, You will only hear from us if you have been shortlisted, is now popping into my Inbox all too often.  I forget that I have many years of experience in the corporate workforce and that I am a professional person.



No comments:

Post a Comment