Wednesday 27 August 2014

The Joys of Redundancy Stage 1

By JAB

My job has been made redundant. The team must be downsized. It's not I who am redundancy, but my job. I must hold onto this fundamental fact, at least until I find another job.

My colleagues are second-guessing the motives, schemes and outcomes but I’m confident I’ll get another job. I try to detach from their gossip and the grapevine. My manager encourages me to apply for internal jobs; to date there is only one that might suit and so I do. It’s basically my former role, rebadged and paying half the hourly rate.

I consult Wikipedia and note one definition of redundancy; ‘Layoff, termination of employment of a person whose post becomes unnecessary.’ Surely the basic support tasks I currently perform are still crucial to the new restructure. There seems to be a disconnect here. Have I been shafted? I plead with my managers for a re-evaluation of the old versus new position descriptions and the new hourly rate, but my small voice falls upon deaf ears. It’s all about the dollars, I am told.


I begin to apply for external jobs – just in case. I am feeling confident that I will survive the restructure; after all, I have successfully managed my career to suit my needs – until now. I update my profile on Seek and break an oath with myself to re-assign with Linked-in. I have avoided social media, but realise I must now get with the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment