Wednesday 28 October 2015

I Am the Cheese

Random House Cover
During the course of research for a non-fiction project on the evolution of young adult fiction, I came across an author that I had not previously read and who had made a significant contribution to the solidification of the Young Adult classification.

American writer Robert Cormier (January 17, 1925 – November 2, 2000) is the author of many published works including his 1977 novel, I Am the Cheese. 

I Am the Cheese is the story of a young boy called Adam Farmer who is cycling between two American towns to find his father and unlock his secret past.  The title I Am the Cheese is a reference to a verse in the song, ‘The  Farmer in the Dell,’ which Adam sings throughout his bike journey. 

The cheese stands alone,
The cheese stands alone,
Heigh-ho , the merry-o,
The cheese stands alone.

It is an interesting novel, written predominately with a first person, present tense narration but also with an anonymous third person and a two-person interview style dialogue.  The book addresses themes typical of many coming-of-age novels with the major theme being identity.  Adam Farmer is trying to find the truth of his identity throughout the novel.  The thing that sets this novel apart however is the way that Adam deals with this truth.

I Am the Cheese is a great read that I would thoroughly recommend.

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment